The Wee Cho Yaw Future Leaders Award, which is funded by the United Overseas Bank Limited, is awarded to financially needy students who exhibit integrity, commitment, honour and unity, and possess an enterprising spirit. They must also demonstrate academic excellence, high intellectual capacity and strong leadership potential.
Interested students should apply for both the NUS Scholarships and NUS Financial Aid in the year that they are matriculating to be considered for the Award. Those who are unable to access the NUS Scholarships application form may submit an enquiry here.
- Be Singapore Citizens
- Have strong leadership qualities and potential
- Have good co-curricular activities records
- Possess outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE A Level, local Polytechnic Diploma, International Baccalaureate Diploma, NUS High School Diploma or equivalent qualifications
- Be applying for admission to a full-time undergraduate degree programme at NUS, excluding Music, Yale-NUS College and students in the Law and Liberal Arts Double Degree Programme offered by Yale-NUS and NUS. Only limited scholarships are available for Dentistry and Medicine.
- Be matriculating in the year of application
- Tuition fees (after MOE Tuition Grant subsidy)
- S$6,000 annual living allowance
- S$2,000 one-time computer allowance upon enrolment
- Guaranteed an offer of a 1-semester Student Exchange Programme (SEP) with one of NUS’ overseas partner universities
- Guaranteed offers of on-campus accommodation for the first 2 years of undergraduate studies, provided the Scholar submits a complete hostel admission application every year within the prescribed application periods, and fulfils NUS’s eligibility criteria for NUS on-campus accommodation. This guarantee applies only to the halls of residence and student residences, and not to the residential colleges.
- Scholarship is bond-free
Terms & Conditions
- The Award is offered to read an undergraduate course at NUS, and is tenable for the normal course duration. Awards offered under Dentistry and Medicine cannot be transferred across courses, while awards offered under other courses may be transferred to other courses, excluding Dentistry, Medicine and Music.
- Award recipients may not concurrently hold any other award, fellowship, bursary, grant, scholarship or allowance without prior approval from the University.
- The Award will be monitored and renewed every semester provided the award recipient maintains a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of at least 3.5 (or equivalent) and good conduct.
- Award recipients will be required to take part in community involvement programmes or projects deemed appropriate and/or directed by the University.
- If the award recipient decides to withdraw from the University and/or terminate the award prematurely, the University reserves the right to impose repayment of all award monies disbursed to the recipient.
Application & Shortlisting Process
- Applications for the NUS Scholarships and NUS Financial Aid commences from 1 February to mid-March 2020 and 1 February to 1 April 2020 respectively. Scholarship and financial aid applications can be submitted only after applications for admission to NUS have been submitted. Only applicants who submitted complete applications with all required documents for NUS Scholarships and NUS Financial Aid will be considered for the Award. Those who are unable to access the NUS Scholarships application form may submit an enquiry here.
- Applicants are required to submit their supporting documents (including academic results, CCA records and certificates of achievements) for NUS Scholarships at the uploading facility, after completing the online scholarship application. One referee report is to be submitted online separately by your JC/Polytechnic/High School Principal or Tutor. An information sheet for referees can be downloaded here.
- Applicants are also required to submit an online application at the Undergraduate Financial Aid Portal for financial aid and submit hard copy supporting documents to the Office of Financial Aid within two weeks of the online application.
- Award applicants will be assessed on their suitability for the Award, based on the strength of their applications and their performance in the award selection interview(s), if shortlisted.
- Applicants shortlisted for selection interview(s) will be informed via e-mail. Selection interviews will be conducted from late-March onwards, and applicants will be informed of their award application outcomes by late-May. Please ensure that you are available to attend the interviews in order to be considered for scholarships. Your award application will be withdrawn if you are unable to attend any scheduled selection(s) without valid reason(s).
- NUS reserves the right not to offer any award if there are no candidates of sufficient merit. The decision of the selection committee is final. Enquiries or disputes surrounding its decisions will not be entertained.
Application & Enquiries
Please submit your enquiries here. Applications for the NUS Scholarships and NUS Financial Aid in Academic Year 2020-2021 commences on 1 February 2020, and will close on mid-March 2020 and 1 April 2020 respectively.