NSOE-TSS Grant Call 2020: Trustworthy Computing for a Secure Smart Nation
Issued by National Satellite of Excellence in Trustworthy Software Systems
The National Satellite of Excellence in Trustworthy Software Systems (NSoE-TSS) focuses on cutting edge research in software and system security. The center aims to build on Singapore's combined strengths in the areas of analysis, testing, verification, hardening, isolation and system design. Focus will be on developing certification capabilities, particularly for embedded software systems and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. The NSoE-TSS has received significant funding from National Research Foundation in January 2019 for a period of four years.
The Smart Nation initiative aims to use technology to empower citizens and businesses to seize new opportunities in the digital economy, as well as enabling significant improvements on how we live, work and play. As Singapore continues with its transformation into a Smart Nation, the need to build certified trustworthy software systems to control homes, offices, transport systems, urban spaces, schools, hospitals and other environments is of paramount importance.
This grant call encourages diverse and innovative proposals for the development and deployment of tools and services to certify the security and resilience of embedded software systems, or the development and deployment of trustworthy software systems to enable certification for the advancement of a secure Smart Nation. Grant applicants are encouraged to study these or other relevant challenges, including but not limited to:
- Energy management in devices without compromising security
- Secure mobile apps to control devices
- "Bring your own device" (BYOD) issues
- Intelligent control systems for devices
- Tamper-resistant devices
- Secure protocols for networked devices and solutions to improve IoT network security
- Governance and policy issues
- Next generation connectivity
- Infrastructure for the digital economy
- Drones and autonomous vehicles
- Smart sensor networks
- Wearable devices or smartphones
- Physical infrastructure augmentation
- Big data
In addition to areas not listed above, other proposals relating to trustworthy software systems in the context of a Smart Nation are welcome.
PROJECT FUNDING AND DURATION
The duration of the project should be about 2.5 years, with a quantum of $400,000 to $600,000 (inclusive of 10% IRC).
The grant call is open to all researchers from a publicly-funded Singaporean Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) or Research Institution (RI). Each proposal submission must have a Principal Investigator (PI) who is a full-time researcher (or part-time with at least 75% appointment) at publicly-funded Singapore based IHL/RI.
Grant applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the funding under the grant call:
- Evidence of pathway to deployment of proposed research is desirable. This includes, but not limited to, deployment in industry or a Singaporean company.
- Each team must have a PI from an IHL/RI and may have a co-PI from the corresponding industry sector / agency.
- External collaborators are allowable and not restricted to any category, but are not eligible to receive any funding.
- All project work must be done in Singapore, unless expressly approved by the NSOE-TSS.
- Proposals already funded by other funding agencies are not eligible for funding under this grant call.
The following templates and guidelines for the submission of the grant documents are made available at https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~nsoe-tss/grantCall2launch.htm
- Proposal Template
- Budget Template
- Objectives and Deliverables Template
- Performance Indicators Template
- Gantt Chart Template
All relevant sections in the online submission form should be filled out. These documents are required as attachments:
- Full Proposal in PDF format
- Budget, Objectives, Deliverables, KPIs, Gantt Chart in MS Excel document
- Slide deck of 5 slides explaining significance of work proposed in PDF format
SUBMISSION BY PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR (DEADLINE: 6TH MAY 2020, WEDNESDAY, 11.59PM, SINGAPORE TIME)
Grant applicants shall submit the full proposals by the specified deadline through the online submission site at https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/TCASSN2020.
CONTACT PERSON FOR MORE INFORMATION