Driving commercial success
Commercial Champions (CC) are individuals with extensive technology commercialisation experience. They are experienced business advisors attached to GRIP projects during their first 3 months Venture Hothouse. Their role is to lead and guide the Project Innovators to:
- Validate the opportunity of their business idea
- Develop a convincing initial business case/plan to secure the first tranche of GRIP investment funding.
An experienced GRIP-CC may also be appointed as a GRIP Consultant to support the GRIP Lead Instructor to lead GRIP consultation sessions’ discussions, pitching training sessions, working simultaneously across a number of GRIP project teams.
Roles and responsibilities
A GRIP-CC is a conduit to the industry. They connect the Project teams to key stakeholders who can help to
- Share market insight, challenges and validate the opportunities
- Provide solutions or connect to partners who can help to solve various technology commercialisation needs to materialise a business idea.
- Instil business thinking
- Guide the project team to look for information required by the project through primary and secondary research
- Help the team to distill insights into convincing business model, go to market strategy and eventually a business plan.
Worksheets on the basic information which a Project team is required to obtain to build a business case will be provided as part of the 3-month Venture Hothouse programme.
A GRIP-CC is a part-time role for individuals who are interested in:
- nurturing the younger generation of business leaders;
- looking for new business or investment opportunities.
Typical profile of a GRIP-CC includes:
- Retired or semi-retired c-level executives;
- Angels or serial entrepreneurs;
- Business consultants;
- Partners of venture capital firms;
- Individuals from big corporations;
- and Other experienced individuals.
Commitment of a GRIP-CC
To spend an average of not less than a day a week per project team to guide the assigned GRIP team in validating the business opportunity and developing the business plan.
To participate in the 3 Saturday workshops.
To prepare the Project team(s) for final presentation to the review panel to secure the first tranche of investment funding.
If appointed as a GRIP Consultant, to lead GRIP consultation sessions’ discussions and pitching training sessions to train the assigned GRIP teams to pitch at GRIP Investment Panel and Lift Off Day.