My research is focused on innate immune responses and signaling in viral infection and cancer. In particular, my lab focuses on the immunomodulatory protein Annexin-A1 and its receptors, the formyl peptide receptors 1 and 2, and their functions in innate immunity.
The innate immune response is the first line of defence against foreign invaders– finding out how viruses have evolved to evade these defences using host proteins is exciting. Furthermore, how cancer cells can be recognized by the innate immune system is also very exciting as we can find ways to naturally treat cancer.
Elucidating the roles of the multiple transcription factors involved in innate immunity in viral infection and cancer. Another direction I wish to head, is to study the link between stress and disease.
Mouse models of breast and lung cancer
1. Anbalagan D, Yap G, Yuan Y, Pandey VK, Lau WH, Arora S, Bist P, Wong JS, Sethi G, Nissom PM, Lobie PE, Lim LH (2014) Annexin-A1 regulates microRNA-26b* and microRNA-562 to directly target NF-κB and angiogenesis in breast cancer cells. PLoS One 9(12):e114507.
2. Swa HL, Shaik AA, Lim LH, Gunaratne J (2015) Mass spectrometry based quantitative proteomics and integrative network analysis accentuates modulating roles of annexin-1 in mammary tumorigenesis. Proteomics 15(2-3):408-18.
3. Arora S, Lim W, Bist P, Perumalsamy R, Lukman HM, Li F, Welker LB, Yan B, Sethi G, Tambyah PA, Fairhurst AM, Alonso S, Lim LH (2016) Influenza A virus enhances its propagation through the modulation of Annexin-A1 dependent endosomal trafficking and apoptosis. Cell Death Differentiation Mar 4
4. Moraes LA, Kar S, Foo SL, Gu T, Toh YQ, Ampomah PB, Sachaphibulkij K, Yap G, Zharkova O, Lukman HM, Fairhurst AM, Kumar AP, Lim LHK (2017) Annexin-A1 enhances breast cancer growth and migration by promoting alternative macrophage polarization in the tumour microenvironment. Scientific Reports 7(1):17925.
5. Ampomah PB, Moraes LA, Lukman HM, Lim LH (2018) Formyl peptide receptor 2 is regulated by RNA mimics and viruses through an IFNβ-STAT3-dependent pathway. Faseb J 32(3):1468-1478.