Application for Academic Year 2023-2024 will commence from 1 November 2022 and close on 21 February 2023.
Applicants (regardless of nationality) seeking admission to NUS should present the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. This includes full-time National Servicemen (NSF) with IB Diploma who have a course reserved in NUS, but wish to apply for a change of course.
Applicants who have completed the IB Career Programme (IBCP) may also apply and compete for admission to NUS, subject to their suitability, merits and meeting of the respective subject pre-requisites.
Applicants will be considered for admission based on the strength of their academic achievements and additional interviews/tests if required.
For courses that require additional interviews/tests, applicants will also be assessed based on their performance during interviews and/or tests.
Admissions Requirements for IB Diploma Programme students:
|November 2022 or earlier IB Diploma Programme Examination Session
||May 2023 IB Diploma Programme Examination Session
||Apply with actual International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma results
||Apply with predicted International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma results, as attested by high school
|Mother Tongue Language (MTL) requirement
||Some students may be subjected to the Mother Tongue Language (MTL) requirement for admission. Refer to more information below.
- It is mandatory for all applicants to authorise the International Baccalaureate (IB) to release their IB transcripts to 'National University of Singapore' (Institute Code 000690). Applicants can do so by informing their school’s IB coordinator.
Please refer to https://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/assessment-and-exams/requesting-transcripts for details.
Applicants who have retaken exam papers after graduation must re-authorise the release of their IB transcripts to NUS.
- Applicants taking the IBDP examination in May 2023 will receive the application outcome online by 3rd week of July 2023.
May 2023 IB Diploma Programme examination session applicants who wish to apply for NUS Dentistry in AY2023-2024 are required to submit the following documents by the admissions application deadline of 21 February 2023:
- Predicted IB Diploma results as attested by the applicant's high school and
- ACT with Writing or SAT and
- SAT Subject Test scores or AP Test scores
- May 2023 IB Diploma Programme examination session applicants who wish to apply for NUS Medicine in AY2023-2024 are required to submit the following documents by the admissions application deadline of 21 February 2023:
- Predicted IB Diploma results as attested by the applicant's high school and one of the following:
- BMAT or
- UCAT or
- SAT/ACT with Writing and SAT subject Tests/AP Exams.
For more information, click here.
5. Please refer to the IB FAQs for more information.
Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Requirement
Some applicants may be subjected to the Mother Tongue Language (MTL) requirement set by the Ministry of Education, Singapore:
||Singapore Permanent Residents
|Independent/ Specialised Independent Schools in Singapore (Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), School of the Arts, Singapore Sports School, St Joseph’s Institution)
|Other IB World Schools in Singapore
|All IB World Schools outside Singapore
The Mother Tongue Language (MTL) requirement (that is applicable as indicated in the above table) can be met by having one of the following:
a) Pass in MTL A: Literature, or MTL A: Language and Literature, or Language B MTL at Standard or Higher Level at IB Diploma Programme (the IB Standard Level Language ab initio does not fulfil the requirement);
b) Minimum D7 grade for Higher MTL at Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'O' Level (the IGCSE MTL First Language examination does not fulfil the requirement);
c) Minimum S grade for H1 MTL, H1 General Studies or H2 MTLL at Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level;
d) Pass in MTL Syllabus B paper at Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level;
e) Pass in MTL-in-lieu subject approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore;
f) Exemption from MTL approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
Applicants who have been away from Singapore’s school system for some years and have not kept up with the study of their MTL or a language that can be offered as MTL-in-lieu may apply for MTL exemption.
The MTL exemption application will be facilitated by the universities as part of the university application, and the results will be made known to applicants who receive NUS admission offers. Please note that MOE does not accept direct applications for MTL exemption. The application for MTL exemption will also not prejudice the evaluation of the application for a place in the university.
Submission of the official MTL examination results slip/ transcript/ exemption approval is required for the University to review your fulfilment of the MTL requirement.
Applicants who are unable to fulfil the MTL requirement for admission but satisfy all other admission requirements may still apply for admission with no prejudice to their application. Successful applicants will be admitted on a provisional basis and are required to fulfil the MTL requirement during their course of study in order to graduate from NUS.
- Attain the minimum requirement as listed above by fulfilling the MTL paper at IBDP or Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level examinations; or Higher MTL subject at Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level examinations. Information on the Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level MTL paper or Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level Higher MTL paper for private candidates are available at the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB) website: http://www.seab.gov.sg/