The ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship is a freshmen scholarship offered to support outstanding students from ASEAN member countries (excluding Singapore).
Candidates will be considered and shortlisted for the scholarship through their applications for undergraduate admission to NUS. No separate application is required for the scholarship.
- Be citizens of an ASEAN* member country, excluding Singapore
- Have strong leadership qualities and potential
- Present good co-curricular activities records
- Possess outstanding high school results
- Be applying for admission to a full-time undergraduate degree programme at NUS
* ASEAN member countries: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
Scholarship Benefits (from AY2022 cohort onwards)
- Tuition fees (after MOE Tuition Grant Subsidy)
- S$5,800 annual living allowance
- S$1,750 one-time computer allowance upon enrolment
- S$3,000 annual accommodation allowance
Terms & Conditions
- The scholarship is offered to read a full-time undergraduate course at NUS. The scholarship also covers students in Double Degree and Joint Degree Programmes, and covers only the undergraduate course for students in Concurrent Degree Programmes. The scholarship does not cover students in the Concurrent Degree Programme in NUS Bachelor of Science and University of Melbourne Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
- The scholarship is tenable for the normal course duration, and can be transferred across courses, excluding Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Music and Yale-NUS College. Please note there are limited scholarships for Dentistry, Law and Medicine due to the high competitive nature of these courses.
- While there is no bond attached to the ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship, students are required to take up the MOE Tuition Grant to receive the scholarship. Singapore Permanent Residents and international students who take up the MOE Tuition Grant will be bonded under the terms of the Tuition Grant, to work for a Singapore-registered company for 3 years immediately upon graduation. Scholars admitted to Dentistry and Medicine will be required to undertake a service bond with the Singapore Ministry of Health for 5 and 6 years respectively.
- Recipients of the scholarship (scholars) may not concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary, grant, award or allowance without prior approval from the University.
- The scholarship will be monitored and renewed every semester provided the scholar maintains a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of at least 3.5 (or equivalent) and good conduct.
- Scholars are restricted to 1 semester of overseas programme(s) (including but not restricted to NUS Overseas Colleges and overseas Student Exchange Programme) for the entire course of their undergraduate studies.
- NUS does not guarantee and/or provide scholars with employment upon graduation.
- If the scholar decides to withdraw from the University and/or terminate the scholarship prematurely, the University reserves the right to impose repayment of all scholarship monies disbursed to the scholar.
Application & Shortlisting Process
- All applicants for undergraduate admission to NUS will be considered automatically for the scholarship through their applications for admission.
- Applicants will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarship, based on the strength of their applications and/or their performance in the scholarship selection interview(s), if shortlisted.
- Applicants shortlisted for the selection interview(s) will be informed via e-mail, and will be required to provide a submission furnishing their co-curricular activity and other achievements, and a personal statement, before the interview(s). Selection interviews will be conducted from January to June, and shortlisted candidates will be informed of the scholarship outcomes by mid-July.
- NUS reserves the right not to award any scholarship if there are no candidates of sufficient merit. The decision of the selection committee is final. Enquiries or disputes surrounding its decisions will not be entertained.
Please submit your scholarship enquiries here.