banner image

FAQ on Hostel Admission

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Campus Housing

The FAQ below is not an exhaustive list, you may visit Hostel Admission FAQ portal at or contact us at +65 6516 1384. 


Q1: Am I eligible for a student accommodation?

A: All full time NUS students, as well as new students who have formally accepted their offer to study full time in NUS, are eligible for an NUS student accommodation. For more information, please visit, select Student Services > Hostel Admission > Undergraduate, Graduate or Non-graduating from the top menu bar then select Eligibility on right menu.

The residential colleges are typically opened for applications from incoming undergraduate freshmen. Students may submit an application to their respective residential college programmes while waiting to receive their offer to study a full-time undergraduate programme in NUS.

Q2: What are the eligibility requirements to apply for accommodations?

A: If you are an undergraduate students interested in the Halls or Student Residences, you may refer to, select Student Services > Hostel Admission > Undergraduate from the top menu bar and then select Eligibility on right menu to find the eligibility criteria.

Undergraduate students interested in the residential colleges must have successfully joined the Ridge View Residential College (RVRC) Programme, University Town College Programme (UTCP) or University Scholars Programme (USP). For more information, please refer to this link.

Year 1 & 2 international undergraduate students who have successfully submitted a hostel application are assured of an accommodation in the Halls or Student Residences (subject to prevailing terms and conditions). New international students (excluding Singapore Permanent Resident) not selected by the Halls or Residential Colleges will be randomly allocated based on availability.

Q3. How do I get to stay in a Hall for the following year?

A: Hall of Residence has a readmission system for returning seniors, based on their active contribution to the Hall and other considerations.  You can enquire with the respective Hall Office (Residential Life) to find out more.

Q4: How do I get to stay in a Student Residence in the following year?

A: Students who have been active in their CCAs and recommended by their student organisations which are eligible for Residential Admission Scheme (RAS), may be offered a room in the following year at the Prince George’s Park Residences.  

Q5: I heard Hall residents are required to participate in many activities, which affected the well-being and academic achievements of their residents. Is it true?

A: Halls of Residence offer ample learning opportunities for their residents to hone their leadership skills and time management skills amongst others. At the same time, there are mentorship programmes to ease students into living and studying in NUS.  Many hall residents had excelled both academically and in their hall CCAs.  Before signing up for CCAs (including those on campus), students should consider carefully the amount of commitment one can afford to the various CCAs, while balancing academic rigor and personal well-being.  Students can seek the advice of Hall Masters/Resident Fellows or Hall seniors if they are unsure.

Q6: I am a married Undergraduate or Non Graduating or Graduate Student. My spouse and/or children will be accompanying me in Singapore. How do I secure an NUS married or family accommodation?

A: The University has accommodations suitable for married students with accompanying spouse and/or children. If you are interested in securing a married apartment, please provide us with the following during application:

1.  Spouse documents:
o        Passport
o        Marriage certificate (Official translation into English if it is in another (language)
o        Social Visit Pass / Student’s Pass /other valid Singapore passes (Employment Pass/Dependent’s Pass/Work Permit)
o        NUS Student card if your spouse is an NUS student and/or

2. Children documents:
o        Passport (if accompanying students)
o        Birth certificate (Official translation into English if it is in another language)
o        Social Visit Pass / Dependent’s pass/ Student’s Pass

Q7: I am a returning NSman who applied for iBLOCs. Can I apply for campus housing?

A: Yes, returning NSman interested in an accommodation for the special term may apply online via Please click on Ask a Question tab and submit your request. Please indicate in your submission the following:

o   Your NUS Student Number
o   Full Name
o   Gender
o   Hostel Preferences (up to 3 preferences)
o   Indicate the period of stay

Types of Accommodation and Rooms 

Q8: What are the types of student accommodation available?

A: There are 3 types of accommodations:

i. Halls of Residence

There are seven Halls in the Kent Ridge Campus, each with its own unique tradition and heritage. The Halls are known for their vibrant CCAs, rich history and culture. Each hall is led by a Hall Master and an elected Hall committee. Residents are expected to participate actively in hall activities, and have the chance to read some of the General Education (GE) modules.  In addition, Hall residents are given the priority to enrol in the university’s only sports-based module Understanding Body, Mind and Culture through Sport (GEH1063), which was developed by the Halls.  Meals are catered and all residents, except residents staying at PGP House, are required to subscribe to the meal plan.

ii.  Student Residences

The Residences offer independent living with opportunities for cross-cultural interaction with the international community of students.  Residents can look forward to participating in enriching activities organised around the themes of Personal Development, Community Service, Career Mentoring, Outdoor Recreation, Wellness and Community Sports.  Residences offer more privacy as they tend to be quieter than Halls.  Students staying in the Residences participate in activities and workshops organised by the Residences and the university’s clubs, societies and interest groups.

iii.   Residential Colleges (applicable only to students who are admitted to the UTCP, USP or RVRC Programme)

The first of their kind in Singapore’s higher education landscape, the residential colleges in NUS aim to provide undergraduate students with a new kind of educational experience where students can join an exciting academic programme while living alongside their professors and peers.

The academic programmes offered by the residential colleges blend classroom learning with co-academic activities for a unique and holistic learning experience. Rounding up the residential college experience is an abundance of social and sporting activities.

Students are required to apply for the respective academic programmes first before they can join a residential college. The programmes available are:

o   Ridge View Residential College (RVRC) Programme, offered by RVRC

o   University Scholars Programme (USP), offered at Cinnamon College

o   University Town College Programme (UTCP), offered by College of Alice & Peter Tan, Residential College 4, and Tembusu College

For more information on the residential colleges, please click here.

Q9: Which of the hostel type is better?

A: Each of the hostel offers a unique experience to their residents. Choose the type that suit your aspiration of residential living and participate fully during your stay.

Q10: What are the hostel room types available?

A: The room types for the 14 hostels are as follows.

Table 1: Hostel Room Types and Rates


Room Types


Hostel Room Rate (Per Week)

Based on MOE Subsidised Rates

For rates payable in AY21/22 to AY24/25, please check the website

Kent Ridge Hall and Sheares Hall

Single Room non A/C


Eusoff Hall, King Edward VII Hall, Raffles Hall and Temasek Hall

Single Room non A/C


Double Room non A/C


Ridge View Residential College

Single Room A/C and non A/C

$131 - $149

Double Room A/C and non A/C

$89 - $97

Cinnamon College, College of Alice & Peter Tan, Residential College 4 and Tembusu College

Single Room A/C and non A/C

$136 - $154

Single (6-Bedroom Apartment) A/C and non A/C

$148 - $165

Prince George’s Park House **

Single Room (Type B)


Single Room (Type C) A/C and non A/C (Post Renovation)

$131 - $149

Prince George’s Park Residence

Single Room (Type A)*


Single Room (Type B)**


Single Room (Type C)


Married Apartment Type 1 A/C and non A/C

$380 - $398

Married Apartment Type 2 A/C and non A/C

$315 - $333

UTown Residence

Single (4-Bedroom Apartment) A/C and non A/C

$154 - $170

Married Apartment A/C and non A/C

$405 - $422

*Type A rooms at PGPR are not available for application due to the evolving COVID-19 situation

** Type B rooms at PGPR are not available for application for AY2020/21 as it would be the holding site for PGPH while PGPH undergoes renovation.


A/C = With air-conditioning (Additional charges apply for Pay-As-You-Use)
Non A/C = Without air-conditioning

Q11: What is included in a standard hostel room?

A: The hostel rooms are furnished with bed, mattress, wardrobe, table, chair and a network point. You have to bring/buy your own pillow, bed linen, blanket and other daily necessities.

If you wish to bring any electrical appliances, please obtain the necessary approval from your respective hostel management office prior to bringing them to your hostel room.

Hostel Rates, Payments and Financial Assistance

Q12: What are the hostel rates?

A: The hostel rates for AY20/21 of the various hostel rooms are listed in Table 1 above. For more information, please visit, select Student Services > Hostel Admission > Undergraduate, Graduate or Non-graduating from the top menu bar and then select Hostel & Meal Plan Rates on right menu.

Q13: When and how do I pay the hostel fees?

A: Hostel fees are payable on a semester basis. Residents will be invoiced by the hostel management office after check in. For more information on hostel fee payments, please contact the respective hostel management office. Their contact details can be found at

Payment of hostel fees can be made through the online student portal, University Hostel Management System (UHMS) portal, at the respective management office or at the Student Service Centre at Yusof Ishak House (YIH).

Q14: What are the modes of payment for hostel fees?

A: Hostel fee can be paid through interbank GIRO (preferred mode). Online payment is also available via debit or credit card and eNETS. Payment over the counter at the respective management office is by credit or debit card, NETS, local cheque or bank draft.

Q15: Is there any financial assistance available for students applying to stay on campus?

A: Financial aid comprising bursaries and loans is available to help support some of the costs of staying on campus. For more details please visit

NUS offers a suite of donated bursaries and scholarships that makes it possible for students who are admitted into the residential colleges to fund the costs of staying on campus. More information can be found here.

The seven Halls also offer some form of financial assistance to their residents. Hall residents may check with the respective hall management office on the application procedure.

Applications and Cancellation

Q16: When do I apply/register for accommodations?

A: You can find the hostel application exercise dates by visiting, select the Student Services > Hostel Admission > Undergraduate, Graduate or Non-graduating from the top menu bar and then select Application Dates on right menu to find out application period, result notification and acceptance of offer dates.

Q17: How do I apply/register for accommodations?

A: You must submit an online application via the University Hostel Management System (UHMS) portal during the hostel application exercise periods.  An application fee of S$26.75 is payable and non-refundable.  Successful applicants (with the exception of Non-Graduating students who have to pay the hostel fees in full) have to pay an acceptance fee of S$200 to secure their accommodation. 

For a step-by-step guide to the application process, please visit, select the Student Services > Hostel Admission > Undergraduate, Graduate or Non-graduating from the top menu bar and then select Application Process on the right menu.

Applicants who are unable to pay online via credit/debit card or eNETS would need to pay by cheque, money order or bank draft (in SGD).  You may proceed to the Student Service Centre (SSC) to make NETS payment. For the location of the SSC, you may visit

Incoming freshmen applying for the UTown College Programme or RVRC Programme should submit an application via the Joint Residential College Application System first. The application window is from 9 March to 13 April 2020. More information may be found here.  

Incoming freshmen interested in applying for the University Scholars Programme may click here for more information.

Q18: Can I apply for Residential Colleges and Halls or Student Residences at the same time?

A: Yes. Students may submit an application to the RVRC Programme, University Scholars Programme, or University Town College Programme. Upon confirmation of acceptance into one of these programmes, the residential college will follow up with details on housing. At the same time, students may also submit applications for Halls or Student Residences.

Q19: If I am offered and I have accepted a room in Halls and thereafter also offered a room in Residential Colleges, can I change my hostel?

A: Yes. Students who received offers from two different types of hostels would be asked to decide on their final choice of hostel within the period. 

Q20: How do I request to share a double room with my friend?

A: You may make a roommate request to the Hall Residential Life Office / Residential College Admin Office after both of you have applied and accepted the double room offer.

Q21: Can I check in advance who my roommate or apartment mates will be?

A: Due to the University’s confidentiality policy, we are unable to disclose the identity of your roommate or apartment mates prior to check-in.

Q22: How do I cancel my accommodation stay?

A: Please approach your hostel management office for their advice. Charges may be imposed for the cancellation of stay. Their contacts can be found at

Please note that the application fee is non refundable as it is an administrative charge.

Amenities, Facilities and Meal Plans

Q23: Why are meal plans compulsory for halls & residential colleges? Can I opt out of the meal plan? Am I able to change it during the year?

A: Meal plans are compulsory as the dining experience aims to foster community amongst students and faculty/staff by bonding over meals. Therefore, meal plans are compulsory for students living in all of the halls (except PGP House) and residential colleges. Students living in the residences are not required to have a meal plan, as they have cooking facilities in their unit or cluster.

For information on the different types of meal plans and meal plan charges, please contact the respective hostel management office. Their contacts can be found at

Q24: What are the facilities and amenities available at the hostels?

A: You may visit the respective hostel websites or contact the Hostel Management office for more information. For the hostel management’s office contact details, please visit

Q25: What are the existing security measures in place at the hostels?

A: The majority of the hostels have swipe card access systems at lobbies and all hostels have comprehensive CCTV network, well-lit areas and 24-hour campus security.

Length of Stay

Q26: How long can I stay in a student accommodation?

A: For undergraduate and graduate students applying during the semester 1 hostel application exercises, the offer will be for one Academic Year. Those applying during the semester 2 hostel application exercises will be offered only one semester.

Incoming freshmen joining the UTown College Programme and RVRC Programme are typically offered a two-year stay with their residential college. Incoming freshmen joining USP will be offered first year stay at Cinnamon College, and two more semesters of their choice.

Non-Graduating students will be offered only one semester. Those continuing on for another semester will be contacted later on regarding their next semester accommodation.

Vacation stay is optional and residents should submit a separate application for vacation stay during the vacation stay exercise.

Q27: Can I request to stay for a shorter period of time than the stipulated period of stay?

A: We are unable to offer you a shorter stay period. If you choose to check in after the official check in date, the full semester hostel rates will still be imposed. It is also important to update your hostel management office if you are planning to check-in later than the official check-in date. Otherwise, your reservation may be cancelled. However, students who are offered accommodations after the start of the academic year (also known as late offers) will have their hostel fees pro-rated based on the revised official check in date.

Alternative Housing outside Campus

Q28: I am unable to secure a student accommodation. What are my alternatives?

A: If you are unsuccessful in your application for NUS accommodation you are advised to source for alternative private accommodations. For information on private accommodations, you may visit select Student Services > Hostel Admission > Other Accommodation on the top menu bar to find a list of external hostels.

If you wish to appeal for special consideration you may contact Hostel Admission Services via or submit an online appeal through the University Hostel Management System (UHMS).

In the event of withdrawals and rejections, such vacancies will be reoffered to you. This reoffer process may stretch into the semester. If you are urgently in need of an accommodation, we strongly advise you to look for alternative accommodations.


Q29: Can I keep pets in my hostel?

A: No, pets are not allowed under NUS Housing Guidelines.