Dr Ng Chin Siau

Dr Ng Chin Siau (’92) is the Founder and Group Chief Executive Officer of Singapore’s largest private dental group, Q & M Dental Group. His success, however, was no easy feat. The National University of Singapore (NUS) Dentistry graduate learnt very early on in life the value of hard-earned money, and the importance of a good education, when his father fell on hard times during a financial crisis. He attributes much of his current success to the education he received at NUS, having secured a place in Dentistry, and the annual bursaries worth S$1,500 that covered his hostel fees and daily expenses.

His desire to give back to the institution that has provided him with a stable and successful life led him to establish the Ng Chin Siau Dental Bursary for NUS Dentistry students in financial need.

“I am forever thankful to NUS for giving me a place in Dentistry. What I have gained today is a result of what I have received, and the financial aid I received throughout my undergraduate years in NUS really enabled me to get the most out of my education,” Dr Ng shared.

The Bursary, which was first established in 2012, will enable financially needy Dentistry students to pursue their education worry-free. A decade after setting up the Bursary, Dr Ng has made a generous top-up gift to continue uplifting the lives of his Dentistry juniors.

Dr Ng is a strong advocate of education being the key to stepping out of poverty. He said: “Education is so important. If you want to make your own success, be able to provide well for your family and, at the same time, contribute to the progress of society, you need a good education and professional skills.”

What advice does Dr Ng have for the beneficiaries of the Ng Chin Siau Dental Bursary? “Beyond excelling in school, make it your priority to be a good person. Be honest, have integrity and be nice to people around you. Compassion for others will take you far in life,” he shared.

Some of his fondest memories at his alma mater include meeting his wife, who was then a Pharmacy student at NUS, and being actively involved in sports and Hall activities throughout his four years as an undergraduate. Apart from holding the Sports Secretary position at the Faculty of Dentistry, he was also the volleyball captain and Sports Secretary of the Junior Common Room Committee at King Edward VII Hall, where he helped organise inter-block games and sports activities.

He is proud to be an NUS alumnus and hopes that other alumni will step forward to give back to their alma mater in various ways.

“Many of the University’s alumni have excelled in their careers. When we as alumni do well in society, it reflects well on our University. I hope more alumni will step forward, come back and share their expertise and life’s varied experiences, inspire current students and be inspired to support the University while remembering the good old times,” Dr Ng concluded.

ENDS