From left to right: Ms Apple Koh, recipient of TAK Nursing Bursary; Dr Lim Fui Ping, Director of Student Affairs, Mr Andrew Tan, Founder & Chairman, TAK Products & Services Pte Ltd; Prof Liaw Sok Ying, Head of Department of NUS Nursing; Mr Victor Ong, General Manager, Corporate Development TAK Products & Service Pte Ltd. 

When Mr Andrew Tan’s loved one was hospitalised due to complications from an illness, the assigned nurses went above and beyond in their care. “They patiently answered questions, provided emotional support to our family, and advocated for my loved one’s needs with the medical team. Their compassion made a difficult time more manageable,” he recalled. 

After witnessing the unwavering dedication of nurses and doctors again during the COVID-19 pandemic, Mr Tan, the founder and chairman of building materials company TAK Products and Services Pte Ltd, was moved to establish the endowed TAK Nursing Bursary at the Alice Lee Centre for Nursing Studies (NUS Nursing) at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine in 2021. 

“Our nurses’ commitment is heroic,” he shared. “They endure long hours under pressure and often sacrifice their well-being for others. Their passion is why I decided to contribute to the nursing sector, so aspiring nurses can realise their dreams.” To date, the Bursary has benefitted 26 nursing students. 

Associate Professor Liaw Sok Ying, Head of Department of NUS Nursing noted that bursaries can attract more talented individuals to the school by offering financial assistance. “This makes our School more accessible to students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, enriching the learning environment and fostering a more inclusive learning community,” she added.

“Furthermore, when students have access to financial support, they are less likely to drop out due to financial difficulties. In the longer term, this helps to ensure we have enough qualified nurses, and promotes diversity and inclusivity in the nursing profession. More individuals can also pursue higher levels of education and training, resulting in a higher quality of care,” she emphasised.

Currently a Year 4 student, Ms Apple Koh, who received a TAK Nursing Bursary award after she enrolled in NUS Nursing to further studies after obtaining a diploma in Nursing, said that it changed her life. “It eased my financial burden, especially when my dad was critically ill and hospitalised when I was in Year 3. I could complete my undergraduate degree while immersing myself in the campus experience.”

She was also able to participate in an exchange programme at Japan’s Keio University through the Global Nursing Leadership programme, where she met many fellow nursing students from renowned universities worldwide. “No words can fully express my gratitude for the Bursary. I pledge to bring forward this gift of love to my future patients,” she declared.

Ms Apple Koh, recipient of TAK Nursing Bursary on an exchange project in Japan’s Keio University through the  Global Leader Training and International Exchange Programme for Nursing Students.

For Mr Tan, supporting education is one of the best ways for people to give back to society. “Education can catalyse positive change. In this case, I hope the Bursary will enable passionate individuals to contribute significantly to improving healthcare,” he concluded.