Mrs Wong-Mah Jia Lan, affectionately known as Mama Wong, is a well-respected philanthropist who was named one of Asia-Pacific's top philanthropists by Forbes in 2013. In late 2023, Mama Wong established the Wong-Mah Jia Lan Bursary at Duke-NUS to help financially needy students fulfil their dream of becoming competent clinicians.

“I choose bursary over scholarship because I want to help students who truly need the financial assistance,” she explained. “This makes the money more meaningful.”

Mama Wong receiving a token of appreciation from Cham Gee Len, Associate Director of Development, Duke-NUS

Growing up in an era where most women were deprived of education, Mama Wong did not have the opportunity to attend university even though she had wanted to.

“I didn’t have the opportunity back then, so now I want to help students fulfil their university dreams. Seeing them graduate makes me feel like I have graduated too,” said Mama Wong

Born in Ipoh, Malaysia, and now a Singapore citizen, Mama Wong's philanthropic spirit is deeply rooted in her mother's ethos of helping those in need.

“During the Japanese Occupation, our house was plundered and had barely anything left. Yet my mother never rejected anyone who came to borrow food items,” explained Mama Wong

“My mother is a very generous woman. She told me never say no to those who seek help. She said that if a person were to come to you for help, it is likely because he is in a worse predicament than you. This is why I hardly reject people who reach out to me. I always do my best. This is my principle,” said Mama Wong.

Mama Wong and her late husband Mr Wong Kwok Leong amassed their wealth from various business ventures. The compassionate and generous couple shared their good fortune by making numerous donations to temples, hospitals and schools in Singapore and beyond. All this began with their arranged marriage when Mama Wong was only 19, and Mr Wong 41, then a draughtsman who lost his left arm in an accident.

Despite her initial reservations, their partnership flourished and led to a profitable business empire, starting with a tin-mining business in Ipoh, thanks to the 35 acres of land which was part of her dowry. This was followed by a ship supplies business in Singapore, which expanded to include ship repair services. Subsequently, they ventured into the hotel industry in Hong Kong in the late 1960s.

Apart from being a successful businesswoman and active philanthropist, Mama Wong is also an avid artist, dabbling in a variety of styles such calligraphy, finger painting and ink painting. She is particularly known for her finger painting of pine trees and lotus flowers.

One of Mama Wong’s finger paintings of pine trees. Image credit: Art Infinity

Here’s another fun fact about Mama Wong: she was part of the Singapore national bowling team and won many international championships between 1975 and 1976.

This story was first published on 3 July 2024 on Duke-NUS Medical School news. Click here for more Duke-NUS Medical School news.