Donor Mr Jamson Chia presenting Ms Chloe Chen with the Scholarship 

From spontaneous suppers to late-night study sessions, staying on campus offers more than just the enviable convenience of a shorter commute to school. For young students entering adulthood, it is their first foray into independent living. Like many of his peers, NUS alumnus Jamson Chia (’03) formed some of his best memories during his stay at NUS Temasek Hall. 

Before he carved out a successful career in the financial services industry, Mr Chia was a resident of Temasek Hall from 1999 to 2003. Living in a community on campus honed his leadership skills and taught him the art of having a good work-life balance. Convinced that students can benefit from campus living just as he did, he is dedicating a gift to Temasek Hall residents — the Strategic Alliance Leadership Scholarship.

Feeling a deep sense of connection to his alma mater, Mr Chia is going a step further by mentoring his juniors. He did not hesitate to take up the role of non-resident fellow at Temasek Hall when approached by the Hall Master. Now, he spends time providing guidance and support for students.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time and gained valuable experiences while residing in Temasek Hall,” he shared. “The leadership journey I embarked on during my tenure has played a significant role in shaping who I am today. While reflecting amidst the pandemic, it occurred to me that now is the right time for me to give back and contribute to the institution that has played such a pivotal role in my life.”

The Strategic Alliance Leadership Scholarship recognises residents who demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities during their time at Temasek Hall. By covering the recipients’ hostel fees, the hope is to inspire students to step into leadership roles and serve the hall community. 

One exemplary recipient of the Scholarship is NUS Science student Miss Chloe Chen (Class of 2023), who was actively involved in hall activities. On top of her studies, she wore multiple hats as the NUS touch rugby team captain, Temasek Hall’s sports director and Inter-Hall Games convening committee chairperson. She also took on a part-time job as a social media intern to help with her family's finances. 

“I realised that I had a demanding slate of responsibilities, my roles in the hall and touch rugby team, as well as my final year project. Receiving the Scholarship provided immense relief. I was able to step away from my part-time job and channel my undivided attention towards these substantial roles,” she shared. 

The Scholarship granted her the precious gift of time and mental space, allowing her to focus on her hall activities. As a result, she steered Temasek Hall to win the Inter-Hall Games Champion in 2023. 

Beyond the thrill of the triumph, Miss Chen relished the quieter moments of a tight-knit community. It was a safe space that gave her a sense of belonging. Living among residents of different cultures and personalities taught her communication and conflict-resolution skills. There were also networking opportunities with fellow residents, seniors, and alumni that paved the way for valuable connections for her future career. Her Temasek Hall days were a chapter of her life that shaped her personal and academic growth.

“Shared experiences and memorable moments with hallmates become cherished memories that are held close to our hearts far beyond our university years. While classrooms provide vital academic knowledge, on-campus living goes further, imparting life skills, cultural awareness and fostering personal growth,” she concluded, reflecting on her time as a resident of the Hall.