Winnie (second from left) with her family 

Self-made entrepreneur Miss Winnie Cheah (’92) embodies the role of a nurturing gardener of budding talents. With a heart deeply rooted in philanthropy, Miss Cheah regularly contributes to the National University of Singapore (NUS), where the education ecosystem empowers tomorrow's trailblazers to thrive.

An NUS Business alumna, Miss Cheah says: “Giving has been an annual affair since I started my first bursary with Bizad Charity Run in 2015. I’ve always resonated with the Chinese Proverb, ‘Predecessors plant trees and the next generation enjoys the shade’ (前人种树,后人乘凉). I believe any contribution we make today will benefit future generations significantly.

Inspired by these words of wisdom, Miss Cheah has pledged S$10,000 towards the University’s Plant-It-Forward Challenge. Her seeds of generosity will grow into support for students and the planting of 10 trees on the campus grounds. The campaign raises funds for the Enhanced Financial Aid Scheme, which ensures all students have access to education, regardless of their financial situation. As part of its sustainability efforts, the University will plant a tree for every S$1,000 given to the challenge. 

Financial difficulty was the main hurdle during Miss Cheah’s younger days. Her father’s sudden death hit her like a wrecking ball — she was in junior college and he was the family’s sole breadwinner. As she mourned the loss of her father, she grappled with the stark reality of putting herself through school. Determined to get a university degree, she went all out to make and save money. She juggled multiple part-time jobs as a tutor, sales promoter and waitress. She rejected social outings, withdrew from extra-curricular activities and skipped meals in school. Once, she fainted from hunger on the bus home from school. 

Life’s unfavourable conditions did not stop her from blossoming. She persevered and graduated with an NUS business degree in 1992. She started out working in banks before branching out to the financial services sector. Eventually, Winnie became a successful Director with AIA Financial Advisors running an organisation of more than 40 consultants.

Winnie (front row, fourth from right) with her team of advisors from Win Financial Group

Reflecting on those tough years, she said: “Looking back, I felt that the hardships I faced shaped my character. Having experienced poverty led me to the mindset that I must do well in life to give myself and my loved ones a better life.” 

Miss Cheah’s altruistic commitment extends to her NUS community. Apart from her latest gift to the Plant-It-Forward Challenge, Miss Cheah has supported scholarships and bursaries across different NUS schools and faculties. To date, her contribution to NUS has exceeded S$300,000. 

To keep the virtuous circle of giving flourishing, she is rallying others to join this endeavour. She says: “My hope for the recipients is to display gratitude and to do the same for others in their best efforts, be it in cash or kind whenever they are able to. To me, to be in a capacity to give is a greater blessing than receiving.”

Winnie receiving "Top Group Director Award" in 2023 
Winnie receiving a token of appreciation for her support of the Bizad Charity Run 2023