Ling Chaw Ming Professor in Orthopaedics & Head,
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery,
Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Programme Leader, NUS Tissue Engineering Programme
Senior Consultant and Head,
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery,
National University Hospital, Singapore
Tel: 6772 4331
Basic and clinical research in cartilage repair with chondrocytes, bone marrow stem cells or other cell-free biological agents.
Regenerative medicine is the future of therapy for cartilage injuries, of which we have made significant progress. Translational studies are crucial in linking bench work to the bedside application.
Lead and coordinate all related research works for ready application in clinics.
Yes. My laboratory is focused on translational studies and has a group of experienced personnel who can create a wide range of animal models in rat, rabbit and pig. My staffs are skilled in tissue processing, image analysis and data evaluation.
1. Celik C, Franco-Obregón A, Lee EH, Hui JH, Yang Z. Directionalities of magnetic fields and topographic scaffolds synergise to enhance MSC chondrogenesis. Acta Biomaterialia (2020). IF: 7.242
2. Wong KL, Zhang S, Wang M, Ren XF, Afizah H, RC Lai, Lim SK, EH Lee, Hui JH, Toh WS (2020) Intra-articular injections of mesenchymal stem cell exosomes and hyaluronic acid improve structural and mechanical properties in repaired cartilage in a rabbit model. Arthroscopy – The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 36(8): 2215-2228 IF: 4.325
3. Parate D, Kadir ND, Celik C, Lee EH, Hui JH, Franco-Obregón A, Yang Z. Pulsed electromagnetic fields potentiate the paracrine function of mesenchymal stem cells for cartilage regeneration. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2020 Feb 3;11(1):46. doi: 10.1186/s13287-020-1566-5. (2020) IF: 5.116
4. Liu TM, Yildirim ED, Li P, Fang HT, Denslin V, Kumar V, Loh YH, Lee EH, Cool SM, Teh BT, Hui JH, Lim B, Shyh-Chang N. Ascorbate and Iron Are Required for the Specification and Long-Term Self-Renewal of Human Skeletal Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Stem Cell Reports. 2020 Jan 29. pii: S2213-6711(20)30002-3. doi: 10.1016/j.stemcr.2020.01.002. [Epub ahead of print] (2020) IF: 6.032
5. Teo AQA, Wong KL, Shen L, Lim JY, Toh WS, Lee EH, Hui JH. Equivalent 10-Year Outcomes After Implantation of Autologous Bone Marrow–Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Versus Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation for Chondral Defects of the Knee. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 47 (12), 2881-2887 (2019) IF: 6.093
6. Ling L, Ren X, Hassan ABM, Mah S, Sathiyanathan P, Smith RAA, Tan CLL, Eio M, Wijnen AJV, Raghunath M, Nurcombe V, Hui JH, Cool SM. Enhancing the efficacy of stem cell therapy with glycosaminoglycans. Stem Cell Reports (accepted) IF: 5.499
7. Lee JH, Luo X, Ren X, Tan TC, Smith RAA, Swaminathan K, Sekar S, Bhakoo K, Nurcombe V, Hui JH, Cool S. A heparan sulfate device for the regeneration of osteochondral defects. Tissue Eng Part A. Oct 23. doi: 10.1089/ten.TEA.2018.0171. (2018) IF: 3.508
8. Zhang S, Chuah SJ, Lai RC, Hui JH, Lim SK, Toh WS. MSC exosomes mediate cartilage repair by enhancing proliferation, attenuating apoptosis and modulating immune reactivity. Biomaterials. Nov 21;156:16-27. (2017) IF 10.317
9. Parate D, Franco-Obregón A, Fröhlich J, Beyer C, Abbas AA, Kamarul T, Hui JH, Yang Z. Enhancement of mesenchymal stem cell chondrogenesis with short-term low intensity pulsed electromagnetic fields. Sci Rep. Aug 25;7(1):9421. (2017) IF: 4.122
10. Wijesinghe SJ, Ling L, Murali S, Qing YH, Hinkley SF, Carnachan SM, Bell TJ, Swaminathan K, Hui JH, van Wijnen AJ, Nurcombe V, Cool SM. Affinity selection of FGF2-Binding Heparan Sulfates for Ex Vivo Expansion of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. J Cell Physiol. 2017 Mar;232(3):566-575 (2017) IF: 4.080